Tuesday, May 26, 2009

An exotic toast and tea experience in Cebu

I’ve already tried the Kopi Roti Kopi Bun when I was still working in Manila. My wife’s cousin brought a box to our house. I found the buns to be very delicious.The buns were coated with a brown coffee crumb-like substance, were soft on the inside and had a sweet and creamy concoction at its center (which I thought then was plain butter). These were perfect complements to a cup of coffee.


the Kopi Bun

When I transferred to Cebu, I’ve always had the Kopi Bun at the back of my mind. Although I was never really craving for it, I’ve always wondered whether there was anything that could perfectly go together with coffee than the Kopi Bun. Bakeshops in Cebu eventually sold something similar but these did not capture the taste I was looking for in Kopi Buns.

When Kopi Roti opened in Cebu, I made a mental note to try it out. I realized that all I knew about the store was their Kopi Buns. Maybe I was missing their other, more delicious, specialties?

When I finally passed by Kopi Roti, I had the Kopi Bun, Roti French Toast, Kaya Toast, hot milk tea, cold milk tea, and homemade iced tea. So how different were these from what other restaurants and bakeshops were offerring?

Roti French Toast is just French toast. Kaya Toast is just toasted bread. It is Kopi Roti’s butter and special coconut jam spread – called the Kaya spread – that adds a very special and very Asian taste to these fares. The combination of butter, coconut, sweet potato flavor in the jam spread on the toast is a delight to the taste. I also discovered that this is what is in the Kopi Bun.

the Roti French Toast

The milk teas went well together with the Kopi Bun, Roti French Toast, and the Kaya Toast. Kopi Roti’s milk tea was not too milky and did not taste too exotic unlike other restaurants that serve milk teas. In fact, this was the best milk tea I’ve tasted in Cebu so far.

the milk teas

I advise everyone to stay away from their home made iced tea though. We ordered their iced tea thinking that it would taste like sweetened brewed iced tea. It actually tasted like cough syrup. Yuck!

As for the price of their products, Kopi Roti's meal sets range from P80 to P120. As a budget-conscious individual, I was initially put-off with the price. But I realized that the price was for the pastry and drink already. For the price of one cup of coffee from other coffee shops, I can already enjoy my coffee or tea with my toast or my Kopi Bun at Kopi Roti.

I would love to try the other food items that Kopi Roti is offering. High on my list are their chocolate toast and their soft boiled eggs. I also like to try out their milk coffee too. How would these taste like?

I’ll make sure to order these when I visit next time. I recommend you try out Kopi Roti too.

Kopi Roti is located at The Gallery in Mabolo, Cebu City. You can also visit the Kopi Roti website at
http://www.kopiroti.com.ph/.

4 comments:

  1. they all look soooo yummy!i wanna go to cebu again!

    Tin Tin recommended your site btw so im here to say hello to you.

    welcome to the blogosphere!!

    ghee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ghee, thanks for your comment! Yup, you should definitely visit Cebu again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love kopi roti's kopi bun too! my favorite... but you should try the coffee bun from Kate's. Are you familiar with it? It's in Rustan's daw. Someone from the office brought one and I like it sad.

    by the way, thanks for visiting diningcebu.com. Balik-balik nya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup, i've tried the coffee bun from Kate's and i like it too. it's similar to the Kopi Bun but the center is like brazo de mercedes.

    your welcome! i have diningcebu.com on my RSS already.

    ReplyDelete